Thursday, June 12, 2008

An Introduction to Traffic

Greetings. I've given it some thought, and it seems likely that my contributions to this blog will lean toward the lighter and more mainstream, as I've been discussing the other stuff with you guys for four years. Harsh weirdness will get in there, too, but overall I see a classic-rock-over-prog tone emerging. I also plan on saving everyone's time and cutting right to the chase with song/selection of songs posts over albums (but again, they'll get in there, as well). Tonight's post is one of those song packages.

Anyway, Traffic is one of my all-time favorite bands. Easy Top Ten inclusion. I consider them to be prog, thanks to their preference for keyboards and brass over guitars, eclectic discography, and occasional resemblance to Jethro Tull, but they've also had some radio hits. When it appeared in 1967, the band was led by Steve Winwood, fresh off his success with "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm a Man" as the singer for The Spencer Davis Group, and Dave Mason, who had some solo success of his own but is perhaps most famous as the guy who played acoustic guitar on Hendrix's cover of "All along the Watchtower." Mason would leave acrimoniously, the band would split in 1969 and Winwood would join Blind Faith, the members (minus Mason) would get back together in 1970 to help Winwood record his solo debut, and Traffic would be reborn as a result of those sessions. Their last legitimate success was in 1971, though a few more albums did appear.

The real draw for me here is Winwood's voice. Phenomenal white soul singer. In fact, one thing I really like about Unfair Verona is that Taylor reminds me of Winwood. Steve sings these songs, unless otherwise noted.

"Empty Pages" ... Would have loved to put this on my CD for Chris. My favorite Traffic song and one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone. A wistful expression of the laid-back grandeur of love. From John Barleycorn Must Die, 1970.

"Feelin' Alright?" ... You've probably heard this in movie trailers and allergy medication commercials, where they completely miss the point that it's a caustic put-down song, or from Joe Cocker, who ruined it with Charlie Brown piano. Sung by Dave Mason. From Traffic, 1968.

"Forty Thousand Headmen" ... Makes sense. From Traffic, 1968.

"John Barleycorn" ... Winwood wrings gut-wrenching pathos out of this centuries-old allegorical song about fermentation. Jethro Tull does a version live, wherein they steal Traffic's arrangement but punch it up with electric guitar and percussion. This might be the place to start, as it brings to mind The Moody Blues or Tull. From John Barleycorn Must Die, 1970.

"Light up or Leave Me Alone" ... The weakest song here, but I still like it. Included for the misogyny. Sung by drummer Jim Capaldi, who became Winwood's creative partner in the post-Mason years. From The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, 1971.

"No Time to Live" ... The darkest song here, so I would think that this crowd might want to start with it. Doesn't show up on compilations like the others, but I absolutely love it. From Traffic, 1968.

"Rock & Roll Stew (Parts 1 & 2)" ... Extended, special-edition version of a song first released on The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. Sung by Jim Capaldi.

"The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" ... Another Traffic track that I consider among the best songs I've heard by anyone. From The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, 1971.


Honestly, I think you'll hate this stuff. But it's what I'm listening to.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHD9PLXY



Finally, it wouldn't be catching up with Tastiestofsatans without objectification. Still, I believe this blog should be kept as classy as possible, so I'll leave you fine people with a tasteful shot of the beautiful Rose Byrne.

2 comments:

cute is anarchy said...

Good stuff from what I've listened to thus far, and Rose Byrne is fantastic.

BelchingCultist said...

I can see why you would expect us to hate this, but I'll say I am in fact enjoying it. I've given it all a few listens and each time I do so it feels like I'm walking through some sort of foggy forest of classic rock; I keep getting glimpses of familiar classic rock bands or songs I know, but when I try and focus on it I just get pure goodness. That was a really stupid way to put it, but what I'm saying is from what I've heard these guys might be my new favorite classic rock band. Highlights for me would be: 1.)John Barleycorn - wonderful folky goodness
2.)Empty Pages - flashes of ELP, and some other band I just can't quite put my finger down on right now

I will say though, I've always hated "Feelin' Alright?", and this version hasn't changed my mind. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by this band.